The following information is provided to protect patients and visitors from the transmission of infectious organisms through good hand hygiene. The best defence against the spread of infection is healthy, intact skin and good hand hygiene practices.
Six Steps to Hand Washing:
- Remove jewelery before washing hands.
- Rinse hands under warm, running water.
- Lather with soap. Using friction, cover all surfaces of your hands and fingersfor a minimum of ten seconds.
- Rinse hands with warm, running water.
- Dry hands thoroughly with a paper towel.
- Turn off water tap with paper towel.
Waterless hand sanitizer may be used:
- Only if hands are not visibly soiled.
- In addition to hand washing, such as when leaving an isolation room.
- When hand-washing facilities are not available.
- Up to ten times in between thorough hand washing, when necessary.
- Upon entering or leaving the hospital.